How do you hem a knitted sweater?
The easiest way to hem sweater knit is to choose a banded option on a pattern or to double fold the hemline and stitch in place using a long straight stitch or a stretch stitch. Give it a good steam at the end (being sure to use the appropriate heat setting for the fiber content of the fabric).
Is it possible to shorten a knitted sweater?
With this simple sewing tutorial you can make a sweater the right length! You can shorten the hem of a sweater, the hem of a cardigan, or you can shorten the sleeves of a sweater.
How do you hand hem a sweater?
- Mark where you want your sweater to end.
- Make two cuts across the bottom of your sweater.
- Pin the bottom and top together.
- Sew the two pieces together.
- Trim the fabric between the top and bottom a little more so they match up.
- Overlock (or Zigzag) that raw edge.
- Press your new seam down with an iron.
Can you hem a sweater?
Sweaters are tricky to alter since they are knitted and not sewn. To alter them you have to introduce sewing with a sewing machine and stitches. This way of hemming a sweater works well for sweaters with curved hems, sweaters with ties, sweaters with a split hem, and sweaters with thin ribbing.
Can you shorten a knitted dress?
When you cut it, cut just below the line. The stitches should hold the knit in place and stop the bottom unraveling. It fuses to the back of the knit so that there is no movement or alteration in the knit when you cut it, makes it easier to stitch and hem like any other fabric.